• Mixed vegetable in coconut milk •
(Serves 4 )
2 cups shredded coconut
2 tbsps tamarind pulp
3 tbsps coconut oil
4 red dry chillies
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 tsps coriander seeds
10 cloves garlic (optional)
12 French beans
½ cup green peas
100 gms red pumpkin
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp black split urad dal
10 curry leaves
- Soak 1 cup shredded coconut in 1 cup hot water to extract milk. Keep half aside.
Add 2 cups extra water to the other half to make thin coconut milk.
Soak tamarind pulp in ½ cup hot water for half an hour. Strain and keep aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil and sauté 2 red chillies, cumin, coriander, garlic and 1 cup shredded coconut. Grind to a fine masala.
- Cut French beans, shell peas, separate cauliflower florets, peel and dice potatoes, carrots and pumpkin. Boil vegetables in thin coconut milk to which turmeric powder, tamarind extract and salt have been added. When almost done, add masala and cook on low flame for 10 minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil and fry 2 broken red chillies, mustard seeds and urad dal.
Add curry leaves, followed by vegetables and thick coconut milk kept aside. Simmer for 2-3 minutes.
Serve with rice/roti/puri.