½ litre dark vinegar
½ litre white vinegar
½ kg small pickling onions
½ kg marrow/doodhi cut into chunks
2 cauliflowers split into florets
(Other vegetables such as carrots, cucumbers and green beans could also be used.)
5 whole red dried chilies
1 tablespoon corn flour
2 tablespoons yellow mustard powder
1 tablespoon turmeric
125 grams castor sugar
150 grams kitchen salt
- Wash vegetables. Wipe dry. Sprinkle salt and put under weight for 24 hours to remove water.
- Mix the two vinegars. Bring over ¾ litre vinegar to boil.
- Add vegetables and boil for 10 minutes.
- Mix remaining vinegar with corn flour, mustard, turmeric and sugar and add. Stir well and continue cooking until almost done.
- Cool and store in jars for a month before consuming.
Serve as pickle. (It tastes good with parathas.)