• MALAYSIAN INDIAN DALCHA •
2 tablespoons cashew nuts, chopped
2 tablespoons almonds, chopped and blanched
5 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
3 inches piece ginger, peeled and chopped
1 tablespoon whole coriander seeds
1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
¼ teaspoon fennel seeds
350 grams tur dal
150 grams chana dal
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
3 tablespoons peanut oil
1 stick cinnamon
6 green cardamom pods, slightly crushed
1 teaspoon pepper powder
250 grams onions, thinly sliced
50 grams mint
200 grams pumpkin/kaddu, cut into chunks
1 big aubergine/brinjal, peeled and cut into chunks
500 grams potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
200 ml coconut milk
1 tomato, chopped
2 tablespoons thick tamarind paste
1-3 green chilies, slit diagonally
1-2 teaspoon salt
- Soak nuts in 200 ml water overnight. Blend in liquidiser till smooth. Keep aside.
- Similarly blend garlic and ginger with 2 tablespoons of water. Keep aside.
- Grind coriander, cumin and fennel finely. Keep aside.
- Wash dals together and drain. Bring to boil with 7 cups of water skimming off scum.
- Add turmeric. Stir. Partially cover, reduce heat and simmer till done. Keep aside.
- Heat oil. Add cinnamon, cardamom, cloves and pepper. Sauté. Add onion, sauté till brown. Add mint. Sauté.
- Add pumpkin, aubergine and potato and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add garlic and ginger paste and stir for 1 minute.
- Add cooked dal, coconut milk, 2 cups water, ground spices and salt and simmer with partially covered lid for 30 minutes.
- Add nut paste, tomato, tamarind paste and chilies and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- The final consistency should be quite thick.
Serve with rice.