1 teaspoon cumin seeds/jeera
½ teaspoon carom seeds/ajwain
1 pinch asafetida/hing
3 cups carrots, peeled and sliced
1 cup celery, sliced
1/3 cup ginger, peeled and cut
2 tablespoons oil
2 teaspoons sugar
¼ teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Heat the oil, add the cumin, carom seeds and asafetida. As seeds crackle, add carrots,
celery, and ginger. Sauté for about 12 minutes until carrots are done.
- Puree in blender with 2 cups of water, on high speed. Add water as needed to puree.
- Pour the soup in the pan, add salt and sugar. Bring the soup to boil on medium heat.
Add more water if needed.
- When the soup boils, turn the heat to low and let it simmer for ten minutes.
- Add black pepper and lemon juice just before serving.