2 cups mixed dal (tur more than val, red masoor,
moong & black urid)
8 cups water
½ bunch coriander, chopped
5 green chilies, chopped
200 grams red pumpkin
1 teaspoon turmeric
ball of tamarind soaked in hot water
salt to taste
2 tablespoons oil
1 tablespoon readymade dhansak masala
steamed drumsticks (optional)
steamed mushrooms (optional)
2 cups rice
1 teaspoon sugar
- Boil 2 cups of mixed dal with 8 cups of water. As water reduces add more hot water.
- Add coriander and green chilies. Cut up fairly large pieces of 1 onion, red pumpkin, tomatoes, brinjal and add to mixture.
- Add turmeric, tamarind water and salt.
- After dal mixture is cooked, strain and keep aside.
- Fry in oil 2 chopped onions. Add dhansak masala. Pour the dal mixture over it and let it simmer till it comes to a boil.
- Drumsticks or whole mushrooms after steaming can be added if desired.
- Brown the sugar with little water.
- Add this to the water in which the rice is being cooked so that the rice is not pure white.
Serve with soy kababs, kachumber (chopped raw onions, cucumber, tomatoes, green chilies mixed with little lime juice) and papad.