1 cup lentils (tur/arhar or masoor dals)
1½ cups water
½ cup oil
2 bay leaves
3 crushed peppercorns
1 spring curry leaves
¾ cup onion, finely chopped
4 tablespoons ginger paste
1 tablespoon garlic paste
½ teaspoon green chili, crushed
2 teaspoons curry powder
2 cups vegetable stock
1 cup fresh coconut milk
lime juice, salt and white pepper powder to taste
1 large lime, wedged
1 apple, diced
- Boil and puree the lentils. Keep aside.
- Heat oil, crackle bay leaves, peppercorns and curry leaves.
- Add onion, ginger, garlic and green chili. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add curry powder and cook further.
- Add lentils and vegetable stock. Bring to boil. Simmer for 10 minutes. Strain.
- Boil mixture again with a little more vegetable stock.
- Add coconut milk, season and blend.
Serve with small quantity of boiled rice. Optional: squeezed lime, chopped coriander, diced apple and additional pepper.